Welcome to my online gallery!

This blog will house current projects, competed works, and an archive of past works by me, David M. Vaughn of Cheney, Washington! I prefer charcoal, pencil, ink, and oil pastels. In the future I intend to incorporate sculpture and acrylic painting into my practice - much to learn! I also hope to start incorporating more projects I've got rummaging around in my head and a few of my favorite landscapes in the greater Spokane area. Once I get a start on anything, I'll post on the Work-in-Progress page.

For the time being the body of my work is focused on figure drawing, a discipline I greatly enjoy and can't learn enough from. I will be incorporating more projects I am working on as time progresses.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Figure Drawings from 9MAR SAS Studio

Figure Drawing 9MAR13, 10 min. pose, charcoal on BP, 30" x 36"

Figure Drawing 9MAR13, 30 min. pose, charcoal on BP, 32" x 36"
Figure Drawing 9MAR13, 40 min. pose, charcoal on blue 80 lb., 24" x 17"

Here are the latest from Saturday's figure drawing class at Spokane Art Supply. I ended up not trying water colors again, but instead had the opportunity to try white chalk on dyed paper. My technique changed with it...I ended up with a starting point, just under our model's lower lip, and worked out from there, whereas I generally try to get a framework for the body before I even think about putting in details (as the first two poses above ze blue one). It was a very good exercise in observation; made me look hard at how light was falling on the model and applying those values, slooooowwwwlllly, on my drawing. Very challenging!!!! Thank's for the push, Julie :)

Starting off this post is a ten minute pose - a good example of how I usually work; head and spine first, then angel of the shoulders and hips, then trunk, limbs, hands. I made very sure to gauge the model, more-so then usual, going back and forth and making more reference marks then usual. This would have been a great pose had I more time!

I was off a bit on the head measurement versus the rest of the body on the second pose, but charcoal is fairly forgiving it won't be a hard fix. I would like working on the hands more, if anything...got quite a bit of information on them this time around. But, I think I will be working on drawing from last figure drawing class first, and another project for a friend. So, me goal is to get both done before next figure drawing class on April 6th....tick, tock, tick, tock :)

Some spring weather would help....

Thank you for looking! If you have any questions or comments about my work, please feel free to email me! I generally don't check email until late afternoon or night, and will get back to you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment